Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- salt as needed
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- vegetable oil, as needed
- 1 tbsp butter
- Lay green tomato slices out on a rack or paper towels, and salt both sides.
- Let sit for 15 minutes to draw out some of the water. Pat dry.
- Put flour in one bowl;
- in another whisk together milk and eggs;
- and in a third mix together breadcrumbs, corn meal, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each tomato slice in the flour mixture, then in the egg to coat completely, and then into the seasoned breadcrumb mixture.
- Add about 1/4-inch oil, and the butter, to a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter melts, and the foam begins to turn from white to tan, add enough slices to fill pan, but not crowd. Fry until browned on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot, with hot sauce or remoulade.