- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/4 cup butter milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- cooking oil
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cayenne, buttermilk, egg and scallions into a batter
- Put cooking oil in frying pan for. There should be an inch of oil. Heat up the oil.
- Put spoonfulls of batter into the oil and fry until golden.
- Place hushpuppies on towels to absorb excess oil.
- Sprinkle with salt before serving.