- 2 cucumbers, peeled or unpeeled and seeds scooped out
- 1 carrot, peeled
- a bunch of lettuce , torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 fresh ripe mangoes, thinly sliced
- 100 to 150 grams of kani kama (imitation crab sticks), pulled apart into thin shreds
- 1/3 cup of Japanese mayonnaise
- a drizzle of sesame seed oil
- Tobiko (orange-colored flying fish roe), optional as it is quite expensive
- Thinly slice the cucumbers and carrot, and julienne (cut into matchsticks).
- Alternatively, use the shredder commonly used for making buko salad.
- To serve, you can toss the cucumbers, carrot, lettuce and mangoes with the Japanese mayonnaise, drizzle with a little sasame seed oil and top with tobiko.
- If you want a prettier presentation, line each salad bowl with torn lettuce, scatter some carrot, cucumber and kani on top, drizzle the mayonnaise in a spiral, sprinkle with sesame seed oil and top with tobiko.