- 4 inch square piece of dried kelp (konbu), cut into strips
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups bonito flakes
- 2 cubes tofu
- 4 tablespoons miso
- soy sauce
- Place dried kelp in saucepan with water and cook over medium heat.
- Before the water boils remove and discard the dried kelp.
- Add the cold water and the bonito flakes.
- Bring to a boil then set aside to cool.
- When the bonito flakes have settled to the bottom strain the liquid and discard the flakes.
- Boil the liquid again.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- Add the tofu.
- Ladle the boiling liquid over the miso to dissolve it.
- Mix the miso and add to the broth.
- Add soy sauce to taste.