- 1 stick of kanten
- 3 cups of water
- 3 1/2 ounces of sugar
- 1 fourteen ounce can of pureed azuki beans
- Rinse the kanten and tear it into several pieces, cover with water in a small bowl and allow to soak for about 30 minutes (place a saucer on the kanten to prevent it from floating up).
- Squeeze out as much water from the kanten as you can, tear into very small pieces and place in a pan.
- Add water to the pan and cook until the kanten dissolves in the water.
- Strain the melted kanten through a small hand held sieve into another pan.
- Add sugar and continue stirring over medium heat until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the mashed azuki beans.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring continually.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Pour the kanten in a tray or mold and put in the freezer.
- When the jelly has solidified it is ready to eat.