- 2 1 lb. eggplants, cut into cubes
- 1 3/4 teaspoons plus ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 1/2 lbs. peeled tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup loosely packed, chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cup loosely packed, chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 lbs. white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 red or yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 lbs. zucchini, cut lengthwise and then into ½-inch slices
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- Place a single layer of paper towels on 2 large plates. Place the cubed eggplant onto the plates and sprinkle with 1 3/4 teaspoon salt. Allow the eggplant to sit for 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, cook the tomatoes, garlic, black pepper, basil, and parsley, uncovered, over medium heat.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions and bell peppers in a small amount of olive oil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very lightly browned. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the browned vegetables to the tomato mixture.
- Pat the eggplant dry with a fresh paper towel and add it, along with the zucchini to the tomato mixture.
- Cover the pot and cook the stew over low-medium heat for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the white wine and ¾ teaspoon salt and cook for an additional 5 minutes.