Salt and Pepper Prawns
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 cups cabbage, preferably napa, thinly sliced (about 1/2 head)
- 2 small red or orange bell peppers, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice flour or cornstarch (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder (see Ingredient note)
- 1 1/3 pounds raw shrimp (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- Whisk lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage and bell peppers; toss to combine.
- Combine rice flour, salt, pepper and five-spice powder in a medium bowl.
- Add shrimp and toss to coat in spice mixture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring often, until pink and curled, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add jalapenos and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, about 1 minute more. Serve the slaw topped with the shrimp.