Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 8 oz dry egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tuna (6-oz), well drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the noodles in salted water, according to directions.
- Drain, rinse in cold water, and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and sauté the onions over med-low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and continue cooking,stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk, mushroom soup, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the mixture begins to simmer and thickens.
- Add the cooked sauce to the bowl of noodles.
- Add the tuna, peas and 1/2 the cheese, and mix with a spatula to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 buttered casserole dish, and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and olive oil until combined and spread evenly over the casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until bubbling and browned