- 4 packages unagi-no-kabayaki, about 1 pound
- 2 1/4 cups Japanese-style rice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- If you are using frozen unagi, defrost them in the refrigerator. It might take 5-6 hours.
- Start cooking steamed rice.
- Make kabayaki sauce and set aside.
- Heat unagi, following the instructions on the package. If there are no instructions on the package, place unagi the skin side down on a large skillet.
- (*Cut unagi into halves lengthwise if they are long.) Pour 1 Tbsp of sake rice wine over unagi.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and steam cook for a couple minutes on low heat.
- Or, place defrosted unagi on a microwavable plate and pour sake rice wine over unagi. Then, cover with plastic wrap and miscrowave on high for about one minute.
- Serve hot steamed rice into four large rice bowls.
- Pour some kabayaki sauce over the rice.
- Top with heated unagi pieces. Pour more kabayaki sauce over unagi.