- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the basil, garlic and olive oil and blend into a paste.
- Roll the pastry dough into a large, thin rectangle shape.
- Brush the basil paste on top of the rectangular dough.
- Roll the long ends of the rectangle towards each other till they meet in the middle. You should have two tubes of rolled up dough.
- Slice this tube to quarter inch length pieces. Brush with beaten egg to keep the pieces from unravelling.
- Put the pieces in a baking sheet and season with pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake palmiers till they turn golden and puff out. Serve.