- 4 medium artichokes
- 4 tablespoons butter ( 1/2 stick)
- 1 cup chicken stock, or more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon.
- Cut each of the artichokes in half
- remove the toughest outer leaves use a spoon to remove the choke, and trim the bottom.
- Put 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the butter melts and foam subsides, add artichokes, cut side down.
- Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock (it should come about halfway up the sides of the artichokes), bring to a boil, and cover; turn heat to medium-low.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until tender, checking every 5 or 10 minutes to make sure there is enough liquid in the pan, adding more stock as necessary.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and transfer artichokes to serving platter.
- Raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to a sauce.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice and remaining tablespoon butter; taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve artichokes drizzled with sauce.