Cantonese Roast Pork
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 1/2 pounds pork belly, unsliced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon 5-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large bowl, mix together rice wine, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, sugar, garlic, hoisin sauce, and 5-spice powder.
- Rub pork belly with marinade mixture and marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Rub excess marinade off pork belly (but don't rub it all off!) and place in a roasting pan.
- Roast pork for 40 to 45 minutes, flipping the pork belly over after 20 minutes and brushing honey on the surface.
- The pork is done when the outsides begin to crisp and blacken, and center of the pork belly strip feels as firm as a tight fist.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice roast pork into thin pieces.
- Serve with rice or noodles.