- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups canned minced clams, drained, juice reserved
- In large saucepan, over medium-high heat cook the bacon until almost crisp.
- Reduce the heat to low, add 1 tablespoon of the butter, the onions, and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Be careful not to brown the onions.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Whisk in water and reserved clam juice, and once combined add the potatoes.
- Season with the salt and pepper, increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer, and cook uncovered until potatoes are tender.
- Reduce heat to very low, pour in half-and-half, add the rest of the butter, and clams, and cook until heated through. Do not boil! Turn off heat, adjust seasoning, and serve hot.