- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 12 ounces (340 g) lean ground beef or chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) paprika
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped tomato
- 1 cup (250 mL) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Thaw puff pastry according to the instructions on the package.
- Heat oil in a pan, combine the meat with the onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add the paprika, cumin, chopped tomato and continue to cook for until vegetables become tender.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Centigrade).
- Cut the pastry pup sheet into 6 inch squares.
- Put the meat mixture in the center of each square. It should be possible to seal the square around the mixture.
- Top the mixture with the shredded cheese.
- Fold the square diagonally sealing the edges by applying pressure with a fork.
- Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake empanadas for 18 to 20 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Serve.