- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm skim milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tsps cornmeal
- Mix the water, milk and honey.
- Sprinkle the yeast on top of the mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes. The mix will become foamy.
- Add two cups of bread flour and mix into a dough.
- Cover with a towel in a bowl and let stand for two hours.
- Use two tablespoons olive oil to line the bowl.
- Add one cup of bread flour and semilina flour and 2 tabelspoons of olive oil to the dough and mix until soft and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Spread the cornmeal on top of a baking sheet.
- Divide the dough in two and shape each half into a long oval mound and place on top of the sheet. Make four diagonal cuts on top of the bread
- Let stand for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Place a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven
- Bake the bread for 25 minutes until it browns Your Italian Bread is now ready!