- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1-1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 5 cups marinara sauce
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sautè pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft and translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned through about 10 minutes.
- Place ricotta cheese and eggs in a bowl, and stir togetehr until well combined.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In 3 batches add the lasagna sheets to the boiling water and cook until just under al dente.
- Remove the noodles from the pot using a slotted spoon, place in a colander, rinse under cold water to stop the cooking and spread out on clean kitchen towels.
- Spread 1 cup sauce over bottom of a baking dish.
- Cover with a layer of 3 to 4 lasagna noodles, overlaping slightly to fit. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on the noodles, top with 1/3 of the cooked ground beef.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella over the ground beef.
- Top with 1 cup of the marinara sauce, sprinkle 1/4 cup of parmaggiano-reggiano and top with a layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat this 2 more times.
- Cover the final layer of lasagna noodles with the remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle remaining cup of mozzarella on top.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil, place in oven and cook for 60 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook until cheese is melted about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let sit 15 minutes before slicing and serving.