Pastel De Lengua
Ingredients for Pastry
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter
- 8 tablespoons cream
Ingredients for Filling
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms
- 2 kilos oxe tongue, cubed
- 2 pieces chorizo bilbao, sliced
- 2 cups ox tongue broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 1 can vienna sausage, sliced
- Blanche tongue in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Peel off the skin.
- Simmer in water until tender with onions, salt, peppercorn and bayleaf.
- Simmer until tender.
- Cut into cubes.
- Strain the broth then set aside the ox tongue.
- Mix flour, butter and cream in a bowl. Chill pastry mix.
- Saute onion until soft.
- Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, ox tongue, and chorizo to saute.
- Pour in the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Thicken the sauce with dispersed flour.
- Stir in cheese, olives and sausage.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Take out chilled pastry mix and roll out so that edges drape over the baking dish by about 1 inch.
- Cover the dish. Tuck in the edges.
- Brush crust with eggwash.
- Make slits on crust for venting steam.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.