- 3-4 pound boneless beef roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, chop into bit-sized pieces
- 2 parsnips, chop into bit-sized pieces
- 3 stalks celery, chop into bit-sized pieces
- Season meat with salt and pepper, take care to season both sides.
- Place a Dutch oven on med-high heat, and when hot add the vegetable oil, and brown the beef well on both sides.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Remove the pot roast, and add the flour to the remaining vegetable oil and beef drippings. Stir.
- Add the beef stock, bay leaf, garlic, thyme and rosemary.
- Place the pot roast back in then add the vegetables.
- Cover and turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the pot roast in, together with the broth and vegetables, and braise for 2 hours.
- Check on the broth, if too much has evaporated, add more water. Be sure not to thin it out too much.
- Cover and braise for until the beef is tender enough to pierce with a fork. An additional 30 minutes should do it.
- Allow to sit covered for 30 minutes before slicing and serving the beef and vegetables.