- 2 pounds red boiling potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 small celery stalk
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet pickle (not relish)
- 3 scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- Place potatoes in a pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer, stirring to ensure even cooking, until a thin-bladed paring knife or a metal skewer inserted into a potato can be removed with no resistance, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Cool slightly.
- Cut warm potatoes into 3/4-inch dice with a serrated knife. Layer them in a bowl, seasoning with vinegar, salt and pepper as you go.
- Cut eggs, celery and pickle in 1/4-inch dice and thinly slice scallions. Add to potatoes, along with parsley.
- Stir in mayonnaise and mustard until everything is combined.
- Chill, covered, before serving.