- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, dissolved in 1/3 cup of water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 5 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon shortening, dissolved in 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup raisins, soak in water then drain
- Dissolve yeast in half of the water then set aside.
- Dissolve salt in sugar in remaining water.
- Add the dissolved yeast.
- Add the brown sugar water, molasses, flour, powdered milk, shortening-water mix and raisins.
- Knead dough in floured surface until elastic.
- Divide into two loaves and put into loaf pans.
- Allow dough to rise until double the original size.
- Put a pan of water in the lowest rack of the oven.
- Bake dough at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.